Monday, November 16, 2015

Cry unto Him over the flocks of your fields

Last week I ponderized (a combination of memorize and ponder) a passage of scripture from the Book of Mormon in Alma verses 17-27 that instructs all to continually pray. And in continuous prayer, we all should pray over our households and over the crops and flocks of your fields, among other things. I don't have any literal crops or flocks, but I am a new therapist working with a variety of clients who depend on me to help them improve their communication abilities.

Well, it just so happens that I had a child on my caseload who seemed to be at a language level that was appropriate for his age, so naturally, I should discharge him. I don't know why, but I was really stressed about it. The thought came to my mind, "he is part of your flock--pray about it." So I did. What a profound thought (at least to me)! To take tough decisions about my caseload to the Lord in prayer. I did just that, and well, I felt a confidence that I was doing the right thing and with that confidence, I went forward with my decision. During the meeting his mother told me that just that morning this sweet first grader had said, "Mom, I don't think I need to go to speech anymore." And he was right :). What a comfort to know that I have God as my personal work assistant when I really need Him. He cares about the details of our lives.

2 comments:

  1. It is wonderful when you get to see the tender mercies of the Lord like you described here. However, it makes me wonder how many times Heavenly Father answers our prayers in ways that aren't so obvious. Well said Leslie!

    ReplyDelete