Saturday, November 14, 2015

Mourn With Those Who Mourn

Yesterday was a normal day for me, I woke up, got the kids breakfast, we did our school lessons, piano practice, I even got some cleaning done.  I was busy with the day to day of my life.  That same evening I was participating in a community music event as part of a community choir, the point was to give thanks to God and to collect food for different community outreach programs.  I had no idea what was going on in Paris.

I picked up a couple friends and one asked if we had heard what happened in Paris.  Nope!  I hadn't a clue.  She went on to tell me about the terrorist attacks.  My stomach dropped.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing, didn't want to believe what I was hearing.  Once we got to the church, where we were performing, I looked it up on my phone.  I read the headlines in shock.  Ugh!  Why is this happening again?

As I sang and listened to songs of thanksgiving, tears filled my eyes thinking of those in Paris.  And I write this as much for me as for anyone else who might read it.

I mourn for those who were taken in such a brutal way.  I mourn for those who lost loved ones.  I mourn for those who had to witness these horrors.  I wish we could make sense of it, but we just never will.  It will never make sense for people to treat other people inhumanely.

Every time a tragedy, such as this, happens I am reminded of an experience I had on my mission while serving an 18 month mission for my church.  This experience is one I hold close to my heart, and is one I think of often, because of the peace that I felt.  And is an experience that I hope may help someone else who may be struggling with recent events.

I served my mission in the Washington D.C. South mission, which took in most of Northern Virginia. I met people from all around the world--I kept track, and I met, taught, and served people from 87 different countries.  I really loved the people I met and loved listening to their stories and learning all about their culture.  I loved trying their food and learning how to say hello (which I rarely ever said correctly, but they were patient with me).  I truly loved being with all the different people I met, from all walks of life. It has continued to enrich my life today.

I had only been a missionary for a handful of months when my companion and I were knocking on doors to try to meet new people.  No one was home.  We kept knocking.  Still no one was home, still we kept knocking.  Finally a door opened.  It was a man, who was probably in his 40s.  He had recently immigrated to the U.S. as a refugee.  His home country was at war and he had lost family members in the fight.  He seemed broken down and weary.  We talked to him about why we were there, which was to teach people about Jesus Christ.  He stopped us and posed us this question, "Why?"

"Why, what,?" was my super elegant response.  He continued, "why do people keep hurting each other, why is there so much war, why do we keep losing are loved ones in these wars that don't solve anything."  He continued like this for a bit.  I didn't know what to say.  My companion and I stumbled around for words that might bring some comfort.  Then I decided to look for the words from God.

I turned to the scriptures.  In the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, there is a book called Alma.  Throughout the book there are a lot of wars and contentions.  That is where I started to look, nothing was working, anything we said or shared was not soothing his soul, until I flipped to the end.

I will give you some background as to what is going on here, to help with the context.  There had been a war that been raging for many years.  The leader of the army on the good side (Nephites) was writing a letter to the Chief Judge because the army had not been receiving the support it needed to sustain the troops.  The soldiers were tired and worn down, and the army leader was not happy with their circumstances.  The army leader sends a scathing letter to the Chief Judge.  In this letter there is a verse of scripture that reads:
"For the Lord suffereth the righteous to be slain that his justice and judgment may come upon the wicked; therefore ye need not suppose that the righteous are lost because they are slain; but behold, they do enter into the rest of the Lord their God."  Alma 60:13      

After probably 15-20 minutes of trying to comfort this man, this was the verse of scripture that calmed his troubled heart.  After I read this to him, he stopped and looked at us and said "okay."  I know I was led to this scripture by the Holy Ghost.  And since this experience I have often thought back on this particular scripture.  I have it marked in my scriptures and I often turn to it when I need understanding in tragedy.  I read it when I heard about Columbine, again on 9/11, and many other times.  It brings me comfort too.  Because there is no understanding this kind of brutality, but understanding that God has a plan, and that ultimately he is the judge does give me a sense of peace. Not that it takes away my sorrow or heartache.  I still mourn the loss of these people.  I still find it a tragedy, but it helps me remember God's plan and that this life is not the end.  

I know that God lives, that He loves us, and He is welcoming those lost in this tragedy into His arms. May we all feel God's love at this time and let us use this tragedy to help spread love, peace, and the gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the world.  May we all remember to do as He taught and love one another.    

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your story Heather. It breaks my heart to think of the migrants who have lost their homes and have no where to go, and the senseless acts of violence that occur. When I think about all the chaos in the world I often think of the song "He's got the whole world in His hands." It sounds silly, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete