Sunday, November 1, 2015

Healing Power of Gratitude

"If you must look back, do so forgivingly.
If you must look forward, do so prayfully.
However, the wisest thing you can do
is be present in the present...Gratefully."
Maya Angelou

Several years ago I was in a personal funk.  I was unhappy, grouchy, and dissatisfied with my life.  I felt everyone had it better than I did, and felt that life was generally unfair.  What I didn't see was that I was becoming increasingly ungrateful.  At the perfect time I came across an article in a church magazine called "The Value of Experiencing and Expressing Gratitude."  I read this article and realized what was wrong with my heart...I was being very ungrateful.  In fact, I had zero gratitude.  My prayers had become more of a begging session for what I wanted, and very little thanks.  I could not see the blessings in my life because I was constantly looking at everything I wanted and everything I didn't have.  This attitude was poisoning my soul.

The article stated, "Gratitude is a positive experience that comes from recognizing gifts or blessings and feeling thankful. It is also an attitude, a way of perceiving life, in which individuals are willing to receive and acknowledge the beneficial actions of others on their behalf. Those who consistently display such an attitude are said to have a grateful disposition. Gratitude is also a habit that can be cultivated, causing one to focus on the blessings of life. Finally, gratitude can be defined as a coping response to challenging or difficult circumstances."  This is the part that grabbed my attention and kept me reading.

This next part is what changed my perspective, "Current case studies and research show that cultivating and practicing gratitude can reduce symptoms in cases of mild to moderate depression and anxiety. Practicing gratitude can also lead to increases in optimism, vitality, happiness, a sense of well-being, and a greater satisfaction with life. 4 Grateful people tend to generate more positive memories, reminding them of the good in their lives. 5 Those with higher levels of gratitude are viewed as more empathetic and supportive, more forgiving, and more likely to assist others. 6 Grateful people also report feeling less envious and more generous with their possessions. They thus enjoy better quality relationships. 7
"Gratitude also helps in coping with adversity. Those who practice it in times of adversity are more likely to seek and find a “silver lining” in their experiences. 8Finally, those who try to feel greater levels of gratitude report fewer physical complaints, more time spent in physical exercise, and better sleep duration and quality."
Before reading this I wrongly thought that if I could have the home I wanted, the car, the clothes, and the vacations I would be happy.  How wrong I was!  I had a great life that I was failing to recognize.  I had a loving husband, and beautiful, and healthy children.  I had a beautiful home, but because I was failing to be grateful I did not see, really see the blessings I had.  

I started to take measures to change my hardened heart.  I started expressing thanks to everyone, store clerks, neighbors, friends, my husband, my children.  I wrote thank you cards for everything from simple to grand gestures.  It was miraculous for me to see the changes in myself and in my family.  My attitude of gratitude rubbed off on those around me.  I began to see how having a grateful attitude made me feel better.  I was no longer angry all the time and about everything.   Because I was happier, my family was happier.  I didn't realize how much my negativity was effecting my family.    

Then along came November, and I decided I really wanted my family to think about all the blessing we have been given.  I took some poster board and taped it onto our pantry door so that we could all see it frequently.  Then, every morning, during breakfast, each of us would take turns saying what we were grateful for, no repeats.  We continued this practice throughout the month of November.  

At first it was really easy to do because there were plenty of things, but as time went on (and people started taking yours) it became more difficult.  It really made you think about things that you are grateful for, things or people that maybe we forget.  I loved seeing the board fill up with all the things and people we are grateful for.  Our gratitude list includes everything from our home, our country, indoor plumbing, to church and scriptures and our Savior, Jesus Christ.  

I am excited to start this tradition again today.  My children decided that we should say two things on Sundays.  I am shocked that not one of them said they were grateful for candy, I thought for sure that would be the first comment.  I feel that because we do this as a family that it puts us in the right frame of mind to start to enjoy the Christmas season.  I know I need to be reminded of the important principle of gratitude and of all the things I have been given. When I remember to be grateful it helps put my life and my problems in perspective and helps me have a better attitude and a happy heart.  

Gratitude Article--here is the article if you would like to read it.  


2 comments:

  1. Heather, I love this! Thank you for posting! I am grateful for my wonderful sisters! I love each of them so much and (this brings tears to my eyes) each of my sisters, including you, Heather, have been a strong support for me in various and difficult times in my life! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to put up my gratitude tree!!! I had forgotten!!

    ReplyDelete