Sunday, November 8, 2015

When you struggle where do you turn?

Sometimes you feel an urge.  A desire to share your voice with the world.  You know that it could come at a cost, but the urge comes from within and you must follow it, or suffer the unending inner nagging, as you hold silently to the things you hold sacred and dear, personal and sometimes embarrassing.  But finally, you succumb to that urge and here you are.  Starting a blog, wondering who, if anyone, will read it.

This blog is titled after a scripture that asks us to consider the blessed and happy state of those who keep God's commandments, in contrast with the state of the wicked.  However there are times in life, when the path of righteousness doesn't always insure happiness, at least the way that we think it happiness should be manifested.  This has occupied my thoughts for the last couple days and so here I am.

Recently my family has been struggling financially.  Right before the birth of our son, I quit working. I haven't picked it up again, since, along with 4 small children, we were led by God down the path of homeschooling.  It all became too much.  Getting up early, dealing with the kids, housekeeping, school, music practice and lessons, and other extracurricular activities then work.  Maybe I'm weak, but it became so exhausting to keep my regular work schedule (8pm - 12am) then start at 7:30 or so every morning, and go nonstop with no real down time.  So after talking it over with my husband it was decided that I would take a "temporary" hiatus from work.  Oh and did I mention our 8 acres!! All levels of crazy around here!! 

My sister and I had planned to jointly take our families to So. California for a trip this fall.  We started saving over a year ago, but it was cancelled due to a broken irrigation pump on our side, and a blown transmission on hers (to say the least...things kept happening that we finally decided the fates were against it!)  So I keep thinking "hold on, then things will sort themselves out."  Then today, I get woken up to "Honey can you go pull the dishwasher out and dry underneath it?  There was water all over the floor so it's leaking from somewhere."  Now our hardwood floors we recently refinished are warped and cracking and we may have to replace our dishwasher.  (maybe this one!  ok probably not, but it washes your dishes in about a minute! who wouldn't want that right?)

So the point?  We sometimes wonder, why?  When I am trying to live God's laws to the best of my ability, and he promises that we will prosper if we keep those commandments, why am I left to years of wondering how we are going to make ends meet?   Why does my life feel like it's falling apart? You try to have faith and it seems there is no end in sight.  That everyone else seems to be succeeding and progressing, and you're failing and digressing.  Would it all be easier if I just went back to work?  yes and no.  Is that the answer? I don't know.  Why, when I'm trying my best to be faithful, stress seems to overcome my happiness.  It starts ruling my life and affecting every piece of my life.

So what do we do?  How can we keep a strong perspective of our purpose in life when everything around us seems to be shattering in slow motion?

Faith obviously has a big part to play.  I feel that my mission in life is directly related to my faith. When I can focus on Christ and I can serve others my life becomes easier.  All those things that seem too difficult, or overwhelming, or bog me down with stress, etc.,  I can accomplish, overcome, and succeed.

Today at church a friend shared a scripture:


I think that about says it all.  With Christ all things are possible.  With Christ we can overcome.  With Christ we can become all that eternity has to offer us.  With Christ I am infinitely more then I ever could be alone.  When I allow him to take my yoke, to walk with me, to help me, my burdens do become lighter.  My trials a little easier, my life more peaceful, and my spirit stronger.  I love my Savior.  I love that He gave so much for me personally, just as with everyone individually, so that I wouldn't have to carry all those overwhelming feelings and struggles alone.  He walks with me.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Jess! It's just like Neil Marriot said, all things can work for our good; that doesn't mean that all things are good. (or something like that).

    Oh, and yes, I think that dishwasher would be a great investment haha!

    ReplyDelete