Sunday, January 3, 2016

Ring out the old, ring in the new

Let me be obvious and comment: A new year is upon us! I believe this new year will be a good one. Me, I'll be paying off student loans, completing my fellowship and getting licensed as a SLP, and maybe dating some ;).

A new year is a new start, and a time to set goals to become better and perhaps it is a time to dig up last year's resolutions, dust them off, and try again. My mission president, and a friend of mine said in this conference address:

Our youngest grandson illustrates the first principle [of becoming like a child]. After learning to crawl and then stand, he was ready to try walking. During his first few attempts, he fell, cried,and gave a look that said, “I will never—ever—try that again! I’m simply going to keep crawling.”
When he stumbled and fell, his loving parents did not feel that he was hopeless or that he would never walk.Instead they held out their arms while calling to him,and with his eyes on them, he tried again to move toward their loving embrace.
Loving parents are always ready with outstretched arms to welcome even our smallest step in the right direction. They know that our willingness to try and try again will lead to progress and success.
Our Father in Heaven rejoices in each faithful step, and if we fall, He rejoices each time we get back up and try again. Let's not get discouraged when we fall short of what we are trying to be/achieve, but keep trying, continuing to believe that, with Christ's help, we will one day get there.

My New Year's resolutions include some goals that I've tried before and failed. But, I'm going to try again!

1. Read the scriptures (particularly the Book of Mormon) every day, any amount of length, any time of the day, just read some every day
2. Attend the Temple at least once a month
3. Pay off half of my student loans by the end of the year
4. Exercise/move in some capacity that challenges me (something new, perhaps, like yoga) at least twice weekly
5. Make a new friend with someone who is of a different faith. So often, I make friends through church, but I would like to expand my friendship circle some.

Now that I've shared them here, I'm perhaps a bit more accountable.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment